This veterinary approved and externally accredited online course has been written and designed by a qualified registered veterinary nurse and clinical animal behaviourist. It has been designed for pet professionals, fulfilling Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements.
It is a suitable foundation for anyone who wants to understand handling techniques and wishes to have a better understanding of canine body language.
The course is made up of multiple learning processes, such as written content, webinars, downloadable resources, suggested tasks, recommended reading and references. There are no exams, but to obtain your certificate you must answer some multiple choice questions.
- To have a solid understanding of canine communication methods.
- To be able to recognise canine signalling in order to carry out a basic assessment of the dog’s intent and take the necessary steps to work safely.
- Understand how to approach and handle dogs using safe and appropriate techniques.
- To feel more confident in applying the principles of canine handling and restraint.
- To have an appreciation of canine welfare and be familiar with some of the relevant legislation that protects them.
- See full course curriculum below.
- Written with the benefit of practical veterinary and canine behaviour experience.
- Information and content based on safe working practices
- Easy-to-digest lessons give you the flexibility to learn at home at your own pace.
- Includes recorded webinars, which are slides presented with a voiceover.
- Includes a comprehensive list of references and related research.
- Tutor and technical support available.
- Lifetime access to dip in and out of the course whenever you need to refresh your knowledge.
- CPD Certificate of completion.
- CPD Transcript for prospective employers.
- CPD Reflection for professional portfolio and CPD log.
- Works on computers, tablets & smartphones.
- Dog wardens
- Community officers
- RSCPA inspectors
- Rescue centre workers
- Pet professionals
- Working/volunteering on trap and neuter programmes
- Animal behaviourists
- Veterinary Nurses
I really enjoyed the course and learnt a lot of new things. As a dog walker, I know that the information I have learnt will be so valuable to my business and ensure I understand the dogs I walk so that I can provide the best, most comfortable and stress free environment for them. I highly recommend this course for anyone who works or wants to work with dogs, or even just for dog owners to expand their knowledge. There is a lot of very interesting and important lessons in this course and it is provided in a concise and easy to understand way. I’m really glad I completed this course and will be looking to do more!
Once again, Caroline has provided an easy-to-access course that one can dip into when there is half-an-hour to spare. There is no need to commit a whole afternoon, learning is purely at the student’s pace.
Didn’t quite understand that last section? No problem, go back and go through it again.
There are short assessment questions at the end of each section, which ensure the student has grasped the topic properly, and the whole course is written in easy-to-understand language, and in a friendly way,if I may put it like that.
Numerous illustrations help understanding to happen, too.
Want to have a better understanding of what your dog is saying to you? Do this course; your dog will thank you.
I learned a lot from this course and will definitely be putting my new skills it into practice with my own dog and my clients dogs. The content was clear and easy to understand with a good mix of videos, written content and third party information. I will definitely be signing up to more Pet Education and Training courses to further broaden my knowledge and I thoroughly recommend this course to anyone who works with dogs, whatever their job.
Straight forward and to the point. Good use of videos/pictures to show and explain the situation
I have found this course very helpful and relevant with the job I do and I now feel more confident moving forward.